Saturday, December 1, 2007

From Black Stripes to Dots.. OS X 10.5

I expected to post in before the weekend but was busy in my SAP course and material management which surprisingly am enjoying. All the purchase requisitions and vendor's purchase orders and all, enticing really to learn all this.

Ok, Jumping onto Leopard ( not literally ;-) ).
Well downloading wasnt the biggest headache and I certainly mean every bit of it. After the elephantine download of 6.85 Gb , something more was in store for my stupefaction. The dvd I sliced to 4.2 Gb to fit on one DVD from this method. After removing languages and printer drivers which was seizing amazing 2+ Gigs . Getting down the dvd to that size made things a bit shacky. While installing the first time , it gave me the shock of a lifetime with 8 min to go for the installation, it showed Installation Failed. I reread every bit of methods I could find for installing Leopard. The worst thing was that I didnt Install and archive. I cleaned the whole system and started installing.
But sadly this meant that I had to install Tiger again for burning Leopard , a fresh copy. And I figured out my mistake which I did while Burning and finally installed and got OS X 10.5 installed. I really liked the Welcome video on the first boot of Leopard.

Its been more than a week I've been using Leopard and more am using it, more am falling in Love with it. It is simply awesome honestly. It cudnt have been more user friendly than this in my opinion. It is one major step ahead of Tiger unlike Vista from windows which failed to offer any user friendliness despite of such eye candy stuff.

Leopard comes with 300 + new features ( well thats wat it says OFFICIALLY ) but if I was not able to see all the 300, I definitely have seen some new and very helpful ones.

  • Well, THE first new thing which one cant really miss is the new Dock. Has a translucent bar holding the dock icons with a new reflecting feature.
  • There is new feature in the dock with a new animated icon preview in an elegant Arc and Grip formations which really helps in opening applications.
  • The search bar on top has got a totally new look which looks good to the eye and has easy access.
  • For a download junkie like me who really want to leech out the torrents from the net, leopard offers a Sleep Display hot corner. Earlier it was not possible to switch off display without letting your Mac to take a nap.
  • The souped-up Finder introduces a sidebar that allows you to rearrange items in the Places section
  • iChat lets you and Leopard-using buddies share files and control each others' desktops, expanding the tool's potential professional use. And you can record iChat sessions as AAC audio or MPEG video files ready for an iPod, which is a great feature for podcasters.
  • Mail eases out the work for gmail users to directly add their account without any POP3 settings to be filled and same goes with iChat.
And the list goes on but not my post :-) Premiership's starting in 15 min. Enjoy your weekend people , have a blast..

0 comments: